Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A story of unthinkable love and courage!

When I worked for newspapers, magazines and news agencies I was always on the lookout for the big story. The story that would move people, get them talking, be remembered for years to come. Although I did some substantial articles none comes anywhere close to the story that follows.
Today I came across a tale of unimaginable courage and love. It's by no means my "scoop", in fact almost 10 million people have already downloaded the video but I do not remember ever being moved as much by any other story.
This is the background information I received:
A son asked his father, "Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?"
The father who, despite having a heart condition, said "Yes".
They went on to complete the marathon together.
Father and son went on to do other marathons. The father always said, "Yes" when his son asked them to race together.
One day, the son said, "Dad, can we do the Iron Man together?" to which his father replied: "Yes".
The Hawaiian Iron Man is considered the toughest triathlon in the world. Competitors must complete three endurance events in the race: a 2.4 mile (3.86 km) ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile (180.2 kilometer) bike ride, then end with a 26.2 mile (42.195 kilometer) marathon run along the coast of the Big Island, Hawaii.
The father and son went on to complete the race together.

Do yourself a favour and take the time to view this 4 minute 36 second video. It will uplift your spirits!


No comments: