Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You snooze you lose!

You snooze you lose!

I found that out the hard way today when I went to buy a Mamiya RB67 outfit I'd been eyeing for a while and discovered it was sold yesterday. I will no doubt be kicking myself for the next few months as this really was "one that got away".
I saw the kit at a Johannesburg dealer last week, consisting of body, back, magnifying view-finder, 50mm, 90mm and 120mm lens and could have had it for around R4 000 (about US$530).
For those who don't know, the Mamiya RB67 produces a negative that is 60mm x 70mm and for years has been the workhorse of pros. I thought about it, ummed and ah'd and hesitated, while I tried to reach a decision. Did I really need it?
I am very happy with my Bronica SQA and my Rollei but Bronica lenses seem to be quite difficult to find and, when you do, tend to be pricey. The Rollei has a fixed lens.
When I finally convinced myself the wisest course would be to build a system around the more readily available Mamiya and to sell the Bronica, it was too late. I am gutted.

No comments: