Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Perfection can be over rated.



A little while ago I was asked to photograph the golden wedding anniversary celebrations of the parents of two of my best friends.
Werner and Klara Hollenstein (the couple) are Swiss/German and I wanted to use a camera that would be appropriate for the occasion. Something German and around 50 years old.
I had a couple of options -- a Zeiss Contaflex, a Voigtlander Prominent, a Rolleiflex -- but I opted for a 50 year-old Kodak Retina Reflex. The Retinas were made by Nagel & Co in Germany and are sometimes referred to as the "Stuttgart Leica." My particular example sports a 50mm f2 Schneider Kreuznach lens that is an absolute belter.
My idea was to capture the spontaneity and joy of the occasion rather than shoot posed pictures. I also wanted to include black and white images to give it an "aged" feeling.
There is no doubt, using a single camera with a standard lens is limiting. It would definitely have been easier to use a zoom and motordrive-equipped, autofocus camera but I think having to "zoom with my feet" to get the right framing produces a unique look. Sometimes perfection is over-rated and in truth the two images I like best from the shoot are not blindingly sharp yet beautifully capture the moment and the joy of the occasion.
The rest of the images can be seen here.

No comments: